ILO Conventions 169 and 182 and CRC
Relevant provisions from ILO Conventions 169 and 182 and CRC:
Right to Education * Article 26 of ILO Convention No. 169
Measures shall be taken to ensure that ITPs have the opportunity to acquire education at all levels on at least equal footing with the rest of the national community.
* Article 27.1, 2 and 3 of ILO Convention No. 169
1. Education programmes and services for ITPs shall be developed and implemented in co-operation with them to address their special needs, and shall incorporate their histories, their knowledge and technologies, their value systems and their further social, economic and cultural aspirations
2. The competent authority shall ensure the training of ITPs and their involvement in the formulation and implementation of education programmes with a view to the progressive transfer of responsibilities...
3…governments shall recognize the right of ITPs to establish their own educational institutions and facilities…
* Article 28.1, 2 and 3 of ILO Convention No. 169
1. ITP children shall… be taught to read and write in their own indigenous language….
2. … measures shall be taken to ensure that ITPs have the opportunity to attain fluency in the national language….
3. Measures shall be taken to preserve and promote the development and practice of the indigenous languages….
* Article 29 of ILO Convention No. 169
[The aim of] the imparting of general knowledge and skills [is to] help ITP children to participate fully and on an equal footing in their own community and in the national community.
* Article 30.1 and 2 of ILO Convention No. 169
1. Governments shall adopt measures appropriate to the traditions and cultures of the ITPs, to make known to them their rights and duties, especially in regard to labour, economic opportunities, education and health matters, social welfare and their rights deriving from this Convention.
2. If necessary this should be done by means of written translations and through the use of mass communications in the languages of the ITP’s.
* Article 31 of ILO Convention No. 169
Educational measures shall be taken among all sections of the national community, …, with the object of eliminating prejudices that they may harbour in respect of ITPs….
* Article 7 (c) of ILO Convention No. 182
[Each member] shall ensure access to free basic education….. for all children removed from WFCL.
* Article 8 of ILO Convention No. 182
… [give] effect to the provisions of this Convention through, …, universal education.
* Article 28.1 of the CRC
States Parties recognize the right of the child to education… and… they shall
(a) Make primary education compulsory and free for all;
(b) Encourage the development of different forms of secondary education…
(d) Make educational and vocational information and guidance available and accessible to all children;
(e) Take measures to encourage regular attendance and the reduction of drop-out rates.
* Article 29.1 (c) of the CRC
… the education of the child shall be directed to….
(c) The development of respect for the child’s… own cultural identity, language and values, for the national values of the country in which the child is living…and for civilizations different from his or her own.
Right to vocational training
* Article 21 of ILO Convention No. 169
Members of ITPs shall enjoy opportunities at least equal to those of other citizens in respect of vocational training measures.
* Article 22.3 of ILO Convention No. 169
Any special training programmes shall be based on the economic environment, social and cultural conditions and practical needs of the ITPs. Any studies made in this connection shall be carried out in co-operation with ITPs who shall be consulted on the organisation and operation of such programmes.
* Article 7.2(c) of ILO Convention No. 182
[Each member shall] ensure access to….whenever possible and appropriate, to vocational training, for all children removed from the WFCL.
* Article 28.1 (d) of the CRC (See above.)